Wednesday, August 15, 2007
doing our best
There is certain music I listen to when I am grumpy, a Norwegian band called Bigbang that my friend David introduced me to. They're sort of classic rock: lots of electric guitar, men shouting. Their lyrics feel subversive to me simply because they're not polite or cheery. This is so refreshing when you are grumpy. I smile, the development worker grump of the century, and turn up the volume. I've been listening to them a lot lately.
My friend Laura, who works here with a different development organization and lives by herself out in the heebie-jeebies, told me last night that we don't have to be happy our first year overseas. For the whole first year, we shouldn't have any expectation or feel any pressure to be pleasant. We just have to survive and still in the country at the end of twelve months. That is success.
I wanted to hug her. I threw my hands in the air, chuckling low (subversively), and told her I was going to stitch that on a pillow. She - tough luck - just hit her 1 year mark and now has to be happy; whilst I felt geniune pleasure that I still have six months to use my Get Out of Jail Free grumpiness card.
Another friend wrote: "Happiness will find you, but for now attempt happiness."
I'm doing the best I can. I'm not particularly happy, though I have moments - passing comets - of happiness, if not everyday, nearly. Life is generally confusing right now. I do wish a meteor shower of happiness would hit.
I am attempting, I am praying, I am grumpy, I need help, I am grateful for the comets when they do come which is pretty often. I AM TRYING, GOD, I AM TRYING!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Brooke,
I'm Leah. I work at Lifetrack now. Going on one year! Diane was kind enough to give me your blog address so I could check out what you're up to in Africa. I've wanted to go to Mozamique ever since reading Always Enough by Heidi Baker. Have you read it? If not, you have to give me your address to I can send it to you. I think you would find it an awesome encouragement.
I'm praying for you today.
Leah
Post a Comment