Part of the problem was I took too long searching for a stirring soundtrack for so critical a task as marking my absentee ballet. I flipped through shuffle on iTunes for a long time - pausing briefly at a worship song called "Thank You for Saving Me", which made me laugh but is heretical - and finally gave up, sticking with "Wrecking Ball" by Gillian Welch. You could squeeze some political symbolism out of that, but I choose it simply as a beautiful specimen of Americana. And because it was so dang hot. I was starting to suffocate.
I set up a fan. An equally useful option would have been to plug in the hairdryer and point it at myself.
Then I needed to educate myself about all the other (non-Presidential) candidates on the ballet via a little wonder called the Internet. This should have been easy but I couldn't find any decent candidate guides. Every page was loading at a pace which did not complement the weather. I tried Skyping a trusted friend who just paid several tens of thousands of dollars to study public policy, so she could simply tell me outright who to vote for, but she didn't answer the phone. Increasingly frantic, I switched the song to Broken Hearted Hoover Fixer Sucker Guy. I tried calling again. I felt ashamed. The heat! The heat! I resisted the urge to fill out the ballot at random.
Finally I gave up and walked into the kitchen, and stuck my head in the fridge door for a few seconds.
The only positive point in the least about Sara leaving is that she will be able to mail in my ballot for me. It would not arrive if posted from Moz. I will work on it again another day soon.

2 comments:
Congratulations! mb
This was hilarious. I hope my ballot arrives soon. At which point I will be doing exactly the same thing. Internet research.
Post a Comment